Humidifiers aren’t very common but yet one of the fantastic investments. By adding moisture into the air, these devices help individuals with respiratory symptoms, dry skin, dry eye, and several other common conditions.
However, if your Humidifier is dirty, the benefits will take no time in turning into disadvantages.
What do you do to ensure that your Humidifier is clean? Ever tried putting Rubbing Alcohol in Humidifier? If using Alcohol in a Diffuser or Humidifier makes you skeptical, have a look at our guide below:
Is it safe to put Rubbing Alcohol in a Humidifier?
Adding a bit of Rubbing Alcohol to a Humidifier isn’t just safe but beneficial as well.
Along with cleaning the Reservoir, it will also prevent mold and bacteria growth.
Rubbing Alcohol is known for its deep cleaning and disinfecting properties.
This solvent not only works magically on fresh stains but also cleans tough and old stains/ residue easily.
For cleaning your Humidifier with Rubbing Alcohol, follow the steps given below:
Things you will need:
- Half a cup of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- A few microfibre cloths or tissues
- Firstly, unplug and disassemble all parts of your Humidifier.
- Now gather all the washable parts and rinse them under cold tap water.
- Now except filter and wired parts, clean all the remaining components with Isopropyl Alcohol. For doing so, take a microfibre cloth and dip it into some Isopropyl Alcohol solvent. Using the same cloth, wipe the dissembled compartments and then leave them to air dry.
- Now pour some Isopropyl Alcohol into the Reservoir and leave it for at least half an hour.
- For cleaning the Humidifier filters, use any Alcohol-free cleaning agent.
- After half an hour, throw away the Alcohol from Reservoir, rinse it under cold water, and let it dry.
- Once all the Humidifier parts are well dried, you can assemble them and use them again.
NOTE: Make sure no traces of Isopropyl is left behind when you operate the Humidifier. If left, it, on the one hand, can diffuse the same in the air and on the other hand can even lead to fire hazards.
What can I put in my Humidifier to make it smell good?
For making your Humidifier smell good, you can use several deodorizing agents. Also, because this device stays damp most of the time, there are chances that it will start smelling foul. However, overcoming this condition isn’t really difficult.
Here is a list of things you can use and do for making your Humidifier smell good:
- While using the Humidifier, mix 3 to 4 teaspoons of Lemon Juice into the Water. This will not only make your room smell good but will also keep the Water and Humidifier clean.
- If you like herby fragrances, you can freeze some fresh herbs (into ice cubes). Further, use these ice cubes in your Humidifier to make everything smell pleasant.
- Or, boil some fresh Rose petals, strain the water and freeze it. Use the rose water ice cubes in your Humidifier for a fresh in-room atmosphere.
- Ensure frequent cleaning if your Humidifier smells foul.
- Rinse and fill the water tank each day. No matter how short duration you use your Humidifier, avoid keeping Water in it for more than a day.
- Keep changing the filters as instructed by the manufacturers. Old and outdated filters, too, can make the Humidifier smell foul.
- Adding a cap full of Humidifier treatment every alternative day keeps the device smelling fresh.
- Every once in a while, let your Humidifier stay dry all day long. This will help in retaining its freshness.
What can I put in my Humidifier to disinfect the air?
Humidifiers, especially the Cool Humidifiers on their own, are effective for disinfecting the air. It will not actively purify all the components in the air but will definitely add moisture to the air. Also, this, as a by-product, reduces the number of germs in the air.
Several cool Humidifiers, especially those that come with filters, also lower the chances of water impurities entering the air.
Thus, having a Cool Humidifier is ideal (not sufficient) for disinfecting air, and there is no need to add any alien ingredient.
However, consider investing in air purifiers if your prime focus is purifying and disinfecting the air.
There are a lot of air purifiers available in the market that comes with both humidifying and dehumidifying feature.
Can I put Alcohol in a Diffuser?
Yes, for cleaning the Diffuser, you can definitely use Alcohol.
However, for aromatic blending, avoid using Rubbing Alcohol in Diffusers.
It is because inhaling Alcohol for a long time isn’t safe for your respiratory canal.
Can I put a fabric softener in my Humidifier?
Can I put perfume in my Humidifier? Yes, it is Ok to put perfume in Humidifier; however, never put a Fabric softener in Humidifiers.
It is because a lot of Fabric softeners are full of harsh chemicals, which, if inhaled, can trouble your respiratory system.
Also, while putting perfume in Humidifier, always focus upon the quantity. Due to their strong overpowering scent, Perfumes can trouble a lot of people.
Especially if someone in your house has a respiratory problem, be cautious about which perfume (Alcohol or non-Alcohol-based) you are using.
What else can I put in my Humidifier?
Individuals usually put alien substances in Humidifier for two purposes,
The first is for disinfecting and cleaning, and the second for adding some scent into the air.
Things you can put in your Humidifier for disinfecting and cleaning:
- Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing Alcohol is a great agent for cleaning Humidifier once in a while. However, let all traces of Alcohol evaporate before you use the Humidifier again.
- White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
By using White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar, you can loosen and remove all the hard water build-up from the Humidifier.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
By mixing 1 part of Hydrogen Peroxide and 4 parts of Water in the Humidifier tank, you can obtain cleanliness.
Things you can put in your Humidifier for fragrance:
Though Humidifiers aren’t meant for similar usage as diffusers, you can still follow some tricks.
- Lemon Juice
By adding 3 tablespoons of Lemon Juice into your Humidifier water, it will infuse a pleasant lemony scent.
- Essential Oils
Though Essential oils aren’t meant for usage in Humidifiers, some manufacturers still allow for the same.
If the one you own comes with similar instructions, you can use Essential oil and enjoy the fragrance.
For Further Reading
Having Humidifiers, especially during the colder months, is no less than a blessing. However, these devices demand high maintenance and regular cleaning.
If not provided the same, the bacterial build-up inside them can lead to several health issues.
Also, whenever operating a Humidifier, always use bottled, pre-filtered, or demineralized water. And in any case, avoid using mineral and bacteria-rich tap water.
We're an affiliate! We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase from product links at no additional cost to you!