Have you ever wondered which build of your car keeps you most comfortable and safe during driving? It is the Windshield.
True to its name, the Windshield keeps the individual inside the vehicle safe and sound from all-natural conditions. Along with that, it also provides clear vision so that you can drive comfortably.
However, one thing that scares car owners the most is a cracked or broken Windshield. At first, repairing a windshield can get expensive, and for the time being, you leave it broken; the car is of no use.
However, if you have a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol at home, you can get done with the time and expense of getting your broken Windshield repaired.
Here are all the insights about cracked Windshield and how Rubbing Alcohol can repair them. Have a look:
Cracked Windshield repair with Rubbing Alcohol- How to?
If your car windshield has a small chip or crack, you can repair it with a Rubbing Alcohol solution.
With multiple Rubbing Alcohol concentrations available in the market for repairing cracks and chips, higher concentrations are ideal.
Consider using 91% or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol as you will have to anyway dilute it further for the repairing process.
Also, because a higher percentage of Rubbing Alcohol provides a lower freezing point and better de-icing capability, it is better for your Windshield in all ways.
How to fix a cracked windshield yourself with Isopropyl alcohol?
Follow the step-by-step instructions for fixing cracks in Windshield using Isopropyl Alcohol:
Things you will need for the Procedure
- 91% or 99% Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol (Preferably)
- Bug Repellent
- Soft Sponge
- A big plastic cup or plate for mixing
- A microfibre cloth of cleaning
Once you have brought all these things together, begin with the repairing process.
- Firstly, take a plastic cup or plate and mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of Rubbing Alcohol, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon of bug repellent, and ½ cup of water. Using a plastic or glass stick, mix all of the ingredients well together to the point where salt is no longer visible.
- Now using the microfibre cloth, clean your Windshield from all kinds of dirt and dust.
- Further, take the soft sponge and submerge it into the solution (in the 1st step).
- Now apply the wet sponge into the cracks of your Windshield and let it dry for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- After the solution dries, check whether the crack is still available or not. If yes, then reapply the mixture with a sponge. It might take you a couple of attempts before you finally get a crack-free windshield.
Does clear nail polish fix a cracked Windshield?
Yes, Clear Nail Polish can definitely fix all the cracks on your Windshield. It will even help in sealing the open spaces, which else way would have been damaged even harder with cold and other external elements.
Using Nail polish for cracks on Windshield is also the easiest and most economical way. Wondering how?
All you need is a clear Gel Nail polish and a Microfibre cloth
How to fix a cracked windshield with nail polish?
- Firstly, before you begin applying the Nail Polish, park your car under the shade. It is essential as we want the Nail Polish to dry slow.
- Using the Microfibre cloth, clean the Windshield nicely, ensuring no dirt and dust are left on the surface. Wet the cloth before cleaning if there’s any tough dirt left behind.
- Further, take the Gel based Clear Nail Polish and apply it evenly over the impact point. Make sure you cover the crack evenly. Even if there are multiple small (pinpoint) cracks, you fill them all nicely with nail polish. This will prevent any further damage.
- Once done, let the polish air dry. In the end, you will get a smooth and crack-free Windshield.
Can you fix a cracked windshield with Super Glue?
If your windshield cracks while you are driving on a highway, the quickest solution is to use Super Glue.
On the one hand, it will save the glass from cracking further and, on the other hand, will dissolve the crack mark. Here’s all that you need to do:
All you need is a tube of Super Glue and a Microfiber cloth
- As you begin with the process, park your car under the shade. Firstly, we do not want the Glue to dry until we have spread it nicely. And secondly, spreading Super Glue on a hot Windshield can prove difficult.
- Make sure your car’s Windshield is free from all kinds of dirt and dust. If not, use a dry or wet Micro Fibre cloth and clean it.
- Now take the Super Glue tube and spread the Glue evenly over the crack. If it is deep, make sure you fill Glue till the depth.
- Wait for the Glue to dry nicely before you take your car under the sun or rain again.
How to keep cracks on Windshield from spreading?
For instance, when you cannot go for professional fixing, make sure you at least keep your Windshield from damaging further. Here’s how you can do the same:
Take clear and wide duct tape and apply it from both outside and inside of the Windshield. Doing so will provide extra protection to the crack and will keep it from spreading.
Are Super Glue, Clear Nail Polish, and other objects good for fixing cracks in Windshield?
If the crack on your Windshield is not in front of the driver’s seat, using products like Super Glue or clear polish is fine.
This is because these products, when dry, create a blur effect over the surface. Now, if such a treated section comes before the driver’s seat, it can hamper the visibility of the road for the driver.
Also, if the crack is small and minor, you can use quick remedies to save the situation. However, if the crack is big, instead of using remedies, consider getting professional fixing.
If not treated well, big cracks on the Windshield can lead to more hazardous incidents in the future.
For Further Reading
- 7 Uses of Rubbing Alcohol in Car detailing
- Can Rubbing Alcohol Be Used On Car Paint?
- How to Remove The Old Wax With Rubbing Alcohol?
While you can fix cracks on your Windshield with home remedies, you also need to remember that all of these are temporary fixes. These may do the job for a short while or really minor cracks.
However, in the long run, and for more intense damage, avoid relying on them totally.
This fact may surprise you, but damaged windshields are the most common insurance claim. Also, because the situation can compromise your safety, get it fixed as soon as possible.
My name is Logan, and I’m a 36-year-old dad who owns a small pressure-washing company in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia. My main goal with rubbing-alcohol.com is to show you how versatile isopropyl rubbing alcohol can be! I hope. You find it useful.
We're an affiliate! We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase from product links at no additional cost to you!